Tuesday 30 April 2013

Meat Puppets - Rat Farm (2013)

Meat Puppets – Rat Farm (Megaforce)
I have to be honest, I’ve not really enjoyed a Meat Puppets album since 94’s ‘Too High To Die’, granted I haven’t really sat down and listened to the 5 albums between that one and this in great detail but none of them really got me hooked and I quickly gave up on enjoying them, so it’s with some trepidation that I put this album on and waited for the first song ‘Rat Farm’ to start playing, then I became quite surprised, this is actually really good, a great catchy opener of a song that had me waiting for the next eagerly. Is this actually the new Meat Puppets album I started to wonder because it’s got all the hallmarks of old Meat Puppets but without the OTT experimentation, I mean I do love a band to experiment with their sound but the Kirkwood’s seem to almost have been doing it just for effect and not to accentuate the song itself. What I can say is this album is by no means a classic, but it is their best album in 19 years and there are no dud tracks on here. I now actually look forward to seeing these guys support Mudhoney in Manchester rather than dreading it.
7/10

No comments: