Wednesday 14 August 2013

Top 50 of 2012: No.24: Black Moth - The Killing Jar (New Heavy Sounds)




I’m sure I had a download of Black Moth’s first 7” ‘The Articulate Dead’ and remember not being that impressed with it, listening to their first full album, either I was completely wrong (it occasionally happens) or they’ve improved tenfold since, not sure which but either way, this album wipes the floor with my memories. Considering the album kicks off with the storming aforementioned track my confusion increases because the huge Sabbathesque riffs and Harriet Bevan’s menacing vocals do not ring a bell from what I’ve heard before, but when an album kicks off with a song this good who cares? What you have is essentially Black Sabbath fronted by one of the best female vocalists the country has to offer, which wouldn’t account to squat if the songs weren’t also so fucking good, sometimes I feel like I’m biased towards local bands, but Black Moth are so good it can’t just be me.

8.5/10

Buy here:

No comments: