Monday 14 December 2015

1001 7" Records You Must Own No.37 Green Day – 1,000 Hours / Dry Ice / Only Of You / The One I Want


Like most people in the UK I got into Green Day when I saw the ‘Basket Case’ video on MTV and was instantly hooked by their pop-punk greatness, but it didn’t stop me begging my parents to buy me the first two independent albums to hear more. Back then these 4 songs were on the extended ‘1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours’ release but this was in reality Green Day’s first EP released on 7” and contains the first fruits of their labour. Even back then they had an amazing knack for catchy as hell melodies and heart tugging lyrics they became famous for ‘1,000 Hours’ is a love song pop songwriters would kill for. ‘Dry Ice’ continues in the same vein showing Billie Joe was always a romantic at heart, ‘Only Of You’ has the classic Green Day guitar sound while having a harder edge. Culminating in ‘The One I Want’ which hints at Mike Dirnt’s future brilliant bass playing and brings to close a perfect EP.

No comments: